Saturday, August 20, 2011

Basic Cole Slaw

For a long time I thought I didn't like cole slaw.  I am generally not a huge fan of mayo, and also assumed that I didn't like cabbage for no particular reason (I am slowly working my way through all of the foods I still have residual fears of from being a really picky kid!).  A few years ago I made a slaw that didn't contain mayo, just a vinegar based dressing, and realized that I actually really like cabbage.  And then more recently I figured out that my aversion to mayo-based salads is that most of them use WAY too much mayo, making them heavy and "goppy", as my mother would say.  As a result, I started experimenting with homemade slaw, and have been pleasantly surprised.  Crisp, freshly shredded cabbage tossed lightly with some sweet and vinegary dressing is really enjoyable, either as a topping for something like Barbecue Turkey Burgers or as an all-purpose side dish for any grilling event.  This recipe is classic, easy to put together, and really delicious.  



Basic Cole Slaw
adapted from Epicurious

1/3 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard

3 cups finely shredded cabbage
1 large carrot
1/2 red onion

In a large bowl whisk together mayonnaise, vinegar, sugar, and mustard.  Add the shredded cabbage, and grate the carrot and onion on top.  Season with salt and pepper and toss together, tasting and adjusting seasoning as needed.  Cole slaw may be made 4 hours ahead and chilled, covered.  Serve as a topping for Barbecue Turkey Burgers or as a side for any summer meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment