Friday, June 25, 2010

Coconut Muffins - Update

Hi everyone!  A couple of weeks ago I told you about the Coconut Muffin recipe I found on Sweet + Natural.  Well, I'm happy to report that they have become one of the munchkin's favorites, and mine, too!  I really want to make them part of my regular rotation, but was still a little concerned because they had about 25% more sugar than I normally like to see in an everyday muffin.  So I decided to make them again, cutting the maple syrup and replacing the missing liquid with apple sauce.  They just came out of the oven and I can't tell the difference at all! 

I also made about 1/3 of the batch with some dried pineapple that I soaked in hot water for the hubby, who really prefers mixed textures in his muffins.  These came out great, too, so if your more of a mix-in type, feel free to give this a try!

I doubled the recipe this time since the munchkin has been eating them like crazy, so I'm posting the doubled version with my changes below.

Coconut Muffins
(with less sugar)

2 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 cup coconut flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
2 eggs
1 cup light coconut milk
3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3/4 cup maple syrup
3/4 cup dried pineapple, cut into small pieces and soaked in hot water (optional)

Preheat the oven to 350. Spray 1 1/2 muffin pans with cooking spray and set aside.

In a medium bowl, whisk together whole wheat pastry flour, coconut flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda and shredded coconut. In a separate, larger bowl, whisk together egg, coconut milk, applesauce, vanilla extract and maple syrup until well blended. Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until just blended, and gently stir in pineapple if using.

Spoon into prepared pans.  Bake for 12 minutes for mini-muffins, or 16-18 minutes for standard muffins.
 
Makes 24 mini + 6 standard muffins (or equivalent: 1 standard = 2 minis)

No comments:

Post a Comment