Thursday, April 22, 2010

Kale Chips

Last summer, we joined a CSA (community supported agriculture), which meant that we became shareholders in a local farm and received a selection of fruit and vegetables weekly from May through November.  I loved having fresh organic produce, and was especially happy to be forced into finding uses for items I may have never purchased on my own.  Some of my experiments were failures (I was never quite able to make bok choy taste good!), but we discovered some new favorites in the process.  Like kale chips. 

Did you know that if you bake kale leaves that they get light and crispy and melt in your mouth??  I would have never guessed - I always think of cooked greens as soggy and bitter, but something miraculous happens when kale is cooked in the oven just lightly tossed in olive oil and sprinkled with salt - hubby and I start fighting over who gets to finish the leafy greens :)



Kale Chips
adapted from too many sources to list

1 bunch kale (any kind should work)
olive oil
sea salt

Preheat oven to 350, and cover a large baking sheet (or 2!) with foil or parchment for easy clean-up.

Remove the stems and center ribs from kale leaves and cut or tear into pieces.  Place in a large bowl and toss with a drizzle of olive oil.  Place on prepared baking sheet(s) in a single layer and sprinkle with salt.  Bake for 15-20 minutes or until crispy.  The chips do not need to be turned, but I'd recommend starting to check on them after about 15 minutes to make sure they don't burn.

No comments:

Post a Comment