Sunday, December 20, 2009

Broccoli Slaw with Almonds and Cranberries

After using buttermilk in corn muffins, pancakes, and granola muffins, I found yet another use for that little bit I still had left!  And this recipe also allowed me to use up the stalks from the broccoli florets that I used in the pasta salad - a double whammy!  I first had this slaw at a friend's house about a year ago, and I am completely hooked.  Generally I am not a huge fan of raw broccoli, but there is something about the combination of flavors in this recipe that is just wonderful.  Maybe it's the onion, or the combination of the dried fruit and almonds?  In any case, it certainly motivates me to eat my veggies in large quantities!



Broccoli Slaw
adapted from Smitten Kitchen

2 heads of broccoli
1/2 cup almond slivers or slices, toasted
1/3 cup dried cranberries (or other dried fruit - I've used mixed cranberries, raisins, blueberries, and cherries because that's what I had and it was still good)
1/2 small red onion, finely chopped (I have also used sweet white and it still worked)

Buttermilk Dressing
1/2 cup buttermilk, well-shaken
1/3 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
1 tablespoon sugar

Trim and prepare the broccoli.  When using the entire heads, slice thinly using a mandoline or the slicing blade on a food processor.  When using just the stalks, I have found it works best to shred like traditional cabbage slaw (you may need to peel the outside of the stalks first).

Toss the sliced broccoli with the almonds, cranberries and onion in a large bowl. Meanwhile, whisk the dressing ingredients in a smaller one, with a good pinch of salt and black pepper. Pour the dressing over the broccoli - start with about half, toss, and add more as needed.  If your broccoli bunches were particularly big, you might even need more, but fortuntately it's really easy to mix up a little extra dressing! Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Makes about 6 servings.  Should keep up to a week in the fridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment